Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Paul Ruscha


Oil on Paper, approx. 12 x 18  Collection Paul Ruscha

I've been revisiting things lately. This is a relatively recent book by Paul Ruscha, the brother of artist Ed Ruscha, and an old friend of mine. Paul's a terrific artist and photographer in his own right, and here in his own WRITE, is a great recollection of his collections. The cover is a painting I did many years ago of Paul. He sat for me several times and slept through this sitting. It was his favorite and he's long owned it, and I was a pleasantly surprised to discover it was used as the cover.
It's a witty, funny and wonderfully written book. I recommend it to anyone, even if I weren't also mentioned within it. The stories about other artists are far more compelling than the brief one about me.
The image of the book here isn't so great; I attached one from an old slide I found. 

If you click on Paul's name at the top, it'll link to an Amazon page on the book.

No comments: